Established in 2007, the Singapore Institute for Clinical Sciences (SICS) is a research institute within the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), and its mission is to develop disease-oriented clinical and translational research programmes in key disease areas.
SICS is distinguished by its focus on clinical sciences and the use of innovative approaches and technologies that enable the efficient and effective study of human health and diseases. The clinical scientists in SICS conduct the full spectrum of “bench to bedside” research activities in metabolic diseases (including diabetes, obesity and insulin resistance), pathways to normal growth and development (including cognitive and behavioural development), nutritional sciences as well as in certain viral infectious diseases such as chronic viral diseases.
The institute aims to attract, train and nurture clinician-scientists and to develop joint programs with universities, academic medical centres, government hospitals and research institutes.
For more information on SICS, please visit: www.sics.a-star.edu.sg
A Research Officer position is available in the computational biology group at Singapore Institute for Clinical Sciences (SICS). The focus of our research group is an in-depth genomic and epigenomic analysis of highly prevalent metabolic and developmental diseases (eg. diabetes and obesity) for biomarker discovery.
Research Officer (Ref : BMSI/SICS/JH/RO/05032013)
We are seeking an enthusiastic candidate with an experience/interest in applied bioinformatics. The successful candidate will be involved in managing and analyzing different types of next generation sequencing data, including genomic data from clinical subjects. The successful candidate will join a team working closely with biologists, clinicians, pharmaceuticals and nutritional agencies.
- Maintenance of all databases.
- Data mining and analysis of the genomic datasets including summary of statistics.
- Maintenance and administration of Linux systems/network, which includes bioinformatics Linux cluster running.
- Daily monitoring of critical automated data analysis.
- Monitor, maintain and update software applications.
- Interface regularly with the group and provide status updates in regular team meetings.
- A Master’s Degree in Bioinformatics/Computer Science.
- Knowledge of and démontrable experience in a Linux environnent
- Good programming and databasing skills (C/C++, Python or Perl) and some knowledge of applied statistics (R)
- Knowledge of functional genomics and nextgen sequencing data analysis tools will be an asset.
- Have a good command of English language, and an ability to handle high-demanding, rapidly changing environment.
- Previous experience in a biotechnology industry or a genomic consortium is a plus
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to details
SICS provides a competitive remuneration package commensurate with your specific qualifications and experience. We welcome interested applicants to email a full CV and cover letter with names/contact details of two referees to
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be notified.